Offensive Line Positions Still Up for Grabs, Smith Says

Offensive Line Positions Still Up for Grabs, Smith Says

Jay Adams

Published August 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

With the Falcons releasing their first unofficial depth chart of the 2012 season last week, it could be safe to assume that all the starting positions — namely those on the offensive line — were sealed up and accounted for.

Not so fast.

Head coach Mike Smith said after practice Sunday that all positions are still very much open for competition and that nothing has been decided on, particularly when referring to the right guard position and Garrett Reynolds’ place as the current penciled-in starter.

“When we’re talking about starting guys, we’re talking about starting guys today, of course,” Smith said. “There’s three more opportunities for us to evaluate all of the guys that are competing, and I believe there’s 12 guys that legitimately have a shot for the nine spots on our offensive line. We’ve got to look at different combinations, gameday combinations, 46-man-roster discussions, as well as the 53-man roster.”

So sit tight on the offensive line as it looks like things are still very much up for grabs.

Search Posts

SEARCH »


Recent Posts

More posts »


Rise Up and Join

Exclusive Contests. Live Events. Unprecedented Access.